Consultant - Product Development/Byld
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Start Date: Immediately
We’re on a mission to elevate the careers and livelihoods of millions of blue collar professionals, artisans, and other informal workers through the use of technology. Join us.
Byld is new product suite operating within Lynk, offering a tech-based platform to build careers for informal workers in the building and construction sector. Byld has the potential to increase the regularity of work and incomes for the millions of informal workers in the construction sector across Africa, while improving productivity for construction firms.
The initiative is born from a collaboration with the international NGO, Mercy Corps, which works in 45 countries around the world to address root causes of poverty head on, and helping those caught in crisis not only meet their immediate needs, but build a brighter future. Mercy Corps’ Social Ventures Fund is an early-stage investor in Lynk, and the initiative involves collaboration with a Mercy Corps multi-country youth employment program, which seeks to identify, incubate and scale sustainable business solutions to a range of youth unemployment challenges across Africa.
Lynk recently agreed on a partnership to pilot the Byld platform in both Kenya and Uganda, and is seeking a Consultant to spearhead the pilot, product development and business model. This will include:
- Project Management: Conducting hands-on research with target users to identify pain points and product needs, and to lead the pilots on the ground through various sprints and rounds of testing.
- Product Management: Work with developers and designers to guide product design, and evolve the product based on uptake and feedback from pilots.
- Develop and refine the business model
- Partnerships: Build partnerships to grow the Byld platform, supportive environment (including with Government), and user base
- Travel to Uganda (max 20% of time) to test platform in Ugandan context
- This position requires entrepreneurial management from the start, and may transition into a fulltime role, based on the viability of the product and the quality of the consultancy.
- Strategy for sign-up of workers including partnerships & vetting methods
- At least one operational partnership with institute providing workers, and 300 workers enrolled into Byld platform (with Worker Sign-up team)
- Agreements with at least two partners for onsite testing of Byld platform
- On-site testing of Byld App v1.0 & subsequent iterations
- Business case and business model developed
- Partnerships pipeline including collaborative partners and potential clients
The consultant will be paid on a monthly basis at a fixed rate commensurate with experience.
Ideal Candidate Should Possess the following Qualifications:
- MBA (or related field: Social Enterprise, Human-Centered Design, etc.).
- Entrepreneurial personality / self-starter – able to take responsibility and undertake tasks with minimal supervision.
- Experience conducting market research, product design, and/or business modeling in Kenya.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills.
- Knowledge of construction sector a plus.
- Flexible work attitude: ability to multi-task in a fast-paced and quickly evolving work environment.
Length of Consultancy: 3 months full-time
More about us:
At Lynk we make it easier for households and businesses to connect with high quality professionals. Currently we have verified professionals in over 140 categories ranging from cleaners, to masseuses, to plumbers, and tailors. Through the use of technology we unlock important career tools such as digital profiles, product galleries, customer reviews, and more.
As a company, we’re a tight-knit and highly-collaborative team of developers, hustlers, planners, and doers. We provide the freedom and tools necessary for people to be comfortable and successful in their work and in return expect high performance and a culture of excellence. We value ambition, curiosity, candor and most of all an uncontrollable desire to create amazing things.
To Apply: Please send your application and relevant supporting materials to email@example.com